Thursday, November 27, 2008

GREAT FALLS





















We took a trip to Great Falls, Montana, to visit Billy and Alicia and crew on the Malmstrom Air Force Base. Our plane ride was great and problem-free. Of course, the suckers and candy helped. The kids were so excited to see each other and they picked up right where they left off. Bella and Kaytlin got to know each other better and had such fun (when they weren't fighting over the dolls and strollers as every toddler girl should). Gage and Braden bounded around with endless energy playing games, tag, war, superheroes, riding bikes and scooters, you name it. And each night, after the exhausted kids went to bed, we visited, ate yummy desserts, and played games like the old days. Alicia was an awesome hostess with her homemade wheat bread and delicious meals. Paisley and Jacob did a lot of eating and sleeping. Too bad they won't remember any of it!!

The first day we drove about an hour to a ski resort that wasn't open yet to skiers, but open to sledding! Lucky for us, we were the only ones there. It was a BLAST!! Uncle Billy was a trooper and carried Bella up on his shoulders and rode down with her. And again and again. Gage was a champ sledding down the hills, first sitting on the tube, then after getting a little braver he went down head first. I recently mailed him a postcard that had a picture of a young superman and people commenting, "Look at the boy of steel!". I wrote him a little note telling him he was MY boy of steel and that I knew he was brave and strong. He LOVED it and now refers to it in situations that make him scared or nervous (that was the goal!). Gage was tired after carrying the tube up the hill, but was determined to keep doing it. About halfway up, he plopped down in the snow on his knees and started praying, "Heavenly Father, I'm really tired. Please help me to climb up this hill." And sure enough, he did.

The next day we went fishing in the Missouri River. It was beautiful, but windy! Gage and Braden both caught a fish and Bella couldn't wait to get her hands on it! I'm not sure what the kids liked better - catching the fish or eating the marshmallows. Near the river is a park with pine trees and play equipment. Bella and Kaytlin were tormenting a squirrel that ran up and down the tree. And a large buck and deer came prouncing through the park and up the hill. That was so COOL!! Too fast to get a picture. We actually saw a lot of deer as we drove back from the ski resort, too.

The next day we went to this really neat children's museum. It was in this old building and they really fixed it up and had all these creative and fun activities for the kids. The pics show a lot of the different little stations. There was even a paper-airplane making station after which you raced them on a runway. Very clever! We went to eat at a pizza place and I took Gage to the bathroom. He washed his hands and then the paper towel machine was one of those automatic hand sensor ones. He waved his hand in front of it, the paper towel came out, and he said, "Look, Mama! I'm a Jedi!" I laughed and then did it for myself and he said, "Whoa...you're a Jedi too!"

I got a kick out of all the saluting Billy gets. It's very formal and serious and makes me uncomfortable. I would get the giggles everytime it happened. I guess I'm just not used to it and find it strange that people are saluting my brother. But very cool and Gage thought it was awesome.

In the car on the way to the airport to head home, Gage cried and said he missed Braden already. We had a fabulous time and we're already talking about going back again next summer. We miss them so much and can't wait to have them back in Arizona (only 3 1/3 more years)!



4 comments:

  1. I miss the crap out of sledding (tubing). Your trip to MT looked really fun. Again, your kids are adorable. I love all the cute things Gage says and you are such a good mom to record them all! You're so smart and sweet to take advantage of the "boy of steel" opportunity. I can't believe he was so brave to go tubing - that takes some serious guts sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betina, you are a great writer. It was fun to see pictures of Brayden and Alicia. There is nothing like cousins. My kids remind me everyday how much they miss their cousins, and I am reminded at every family holiday how much I miss spending time with them. I am so happy that you got to go visit. I loved the Jedi thing. Gage is so funny! Don't you love, that kids think their moms can do anything?! You are doing an awesome job. Praying before going up the hill confirms it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pix are absolutely outstanding. Love seeing the cousins together. What total fun. Got such a kick out of the one with four in car seats. You must have had to rent a bus or two vehicles to get them all strapped in with the adults too. What a deal! Priceless! It was much easier in our day and thankfully Heavenly Father blessed us to be safe without the seats and straps. Glad you could get together. Billy and Alicia and crew will be gone longer than we will. Not a thrilling thought but such a good experience for them to be in the military. Billy's grandad is happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures, it was so fun to see all the kids together. I cracked up at the girls eating their doggy snacks!! I'm glad someone was on the ball with the camera. Can you email me the pictures? We had such a blast with you guys!! Gage really was a trail blazer tubing, I'm glad he was so brave. I can't wait to get together again. With tickets at $29 one-way, I think we could pull off weekend trips. Come again soon.

    ReplyDelete