Monday, March 15, 2010

OLD GIFT RENEWED

I am so behind in keeping this journal/blog and intend to do some updating, mostly for our family records. But as I am sitting here at my new little work desk (been working for Rob) in my bedroom, I glanced over to my dresser and saw a Christmas gift my parents had given all of us kids a looooong time ago - possibly before we were married. It is a jar filled with many, many colorful little strips of paper. On each paper is a question, and our answers were to be recorded in our journals. I decided that was a good place to start me up again on this blog. I reached into the jar and pulled out this question:

Did you go on a mission? If so, where and when? What do you most remember about it? Did you learn a foreign language?

Well, this will be a short post. I did not go on a mission and in the interest of complete honesty (it is a journal, after all), I have to say that I don't regret that. I am in total awe of women who go on missions. They are much stronger than I. I have never learned a foreign language (unless you count two years of French in high school, which has proven to be totally worthless). Learning a foreign language is #99 on my bucket list of 100. So, what does all that say about me?

Also, I was inspired by my dear and awesome friend, Spring, to ask myself this question everyday: "'Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?" from a talk by Elder Henry B. Eyring. While the kids were playing, I heard them singing together, "Follow the Prophet". It was so cute and it made me feel grateful for how innocent, yet strong they are. The church, through inspiration and revelation, has done a wonderful job organizing the Primary. These kids in Primary are so knowledgeable and valiant and I'm guessing it's because they really need to be. I'm so glad that my kids get to benefit from outstanding teachers and leaders.

I have also decided that because of my OCD-Perfectionist mind (I said in my mind, it doesn't always manifest), I was going to focus on improving/perfecting one thing each month. As trivial as it sounds, the month of March is LAUNDRY. I am going to keep up with it better, not leave loads in the washer and dryer only to have to re-wash or re-dry, and actually put the clothes away IMMEDIATELY after I fold them. So, there we have it. I'm back, baby.

1 comment:

  1. Betina, you are back! I had a hunch to check out your blog. I love your ponderings. I agree that the primary program is inspired, it is a temendous support to the family, but more important than anything they will learn from primary, is the role of mothers and fathers and the things that you do in your home day in day out, that make the most difference. It is all of those books read, and snuggles, the taking time to play and get down in the dirt, the listening, and rockings to sleep that you do with your babies that make the greatest mark on their character. You are doing a marvelous job! I love to see how you respond to your little ones-with patience, with love, admiration, and wonder. How blessed your children are to have you and Rob to love and guide them.

    ReplyDelete