Tuesday, September 28, 2010

BEDTIME RITUALS

Like most kids, ours LOVE the bedtime ritual. They usually are the exact same every night, but every once in a while there will be a little change in the song or something. Well, recently we have been getting visits from some pretty funny characters. Sleep Genie, the kids' favorite, has a towel on his head and talks with an Indian accent about how special the kids are and how important it is to go to sleep. Farmer John, who sounds eerily like former President George W. Bush, tells them about how fun it is to live on a farm and do all the hard work and chores. I keep meaning to get pictures of these visits, but they're just to funny to miss a moment.

We begin by having a race up the stairs, then brushing teeth and going to the bathroom. Whoever gets done first, while still doing a good job, gets to pick the first book. We then read three or four books. Then we kneel down in a circle for family prayer, followed by family hug which they all practically knock me over for. Then we do family kiss, which is hilarious.

The girls always want a story about Princess Bellarina, Princess Paisleyanna, and Prince Gage who live in a castle. They don't care what they do in the story as long as I get the names right.

Gage wants me to read to him in his room a few pages from Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I don't care for this book at all. The main character is rude, sassy, and lazy. So I change most of what it really reads to something more desirable. Lately, Gage has been on a kick at bedtime. He wants me to rock him like I used to, then tuck him in, and sing him three songs in an exact order: Here Comes The Oxcart, I Am Like A Star, and I Love to See The Temple (both verses). It's so sweet.

Once I was telling him a bedtime story and trying to mix it up a bit. I tried to be mysterious and scary and said "once upon a time" in a scary voice. He laughed and said, "Very clever, Mom. Very clever."

No comments:

Post a Comment