Friday, October 29, 2010

REMEMBER, NO GROWING UP!!

I know I've said it before, but one of my all-time favorite movies is Hook, a twist on the classic, Peter Pan. I love the messages of this fairy tale: Never grow up, have fun, be silly, fantasy, imagination, keep your youthful spirit. This is how I feel about the kids. I don't want them to grow up. I want them to always be silly and use their imaginations to invent fantasy lands, pretend pirates and fairies. Sadly, no matter how hard I try, they are growing up right before my eyes. Sure, it's fun to see them reach milestones and learn new things, to see them do something on their own without your help.

But it is a bittersweet feeling. For every step they take toward independence is one step further away from Never Land.

I take Gage to school every morning and one day we got there early. I wanted him to just wait in the car with me and talk while we waited for the gate to open. But he had other ideas. "Mom, I'm a big boy now. I don't need you to wait here with me. I can do it."

Recently, the kids were watching a movie in the car - can't remember which one. Gage paused the movie and asked the girls, "Do you see how what she just said makes the other people sad? Well, that's what happens when we say mean things to each other. We make each other sad. So, let's try our hardest not to do that anymore, ok?" That is so Gage.

No comments:

Post a Comment