Thursday, April 1, 2010

THE GREAT OUTDOORS

Gage and Bella led Paisley and me on a jungle safari tour this morning. They had put a shark in the pool, crocodiles in the grass, along with a snake and a turtle. Last but not least, Gage was a tiger, but a friendly one. The following pretty much sums up the kids' personalities right now:
Gage: Pretending to be a tiger, licking all of us and growling just enough to scare
Bella. (She actually believes that he's a tiger and screams and cries in the middle of laughing).

Bella: "Oh, tiger, let me put some makeup on you. Here's some lip gloss."

Paisley: "Swing!! Swing!!! SWING!!!!!!" (can you guess what she wanted to do?)


Today's journal question is: What do you enjoy doing today that you enjoyed as a child?

Today was a good example of the answer to this. I always LOVED to be outside playing. Whether it was imagining I lived in a foreign place, digging a hole to get to China, climbing trees while pretending it was a pirate ship and sitting on the crow's nest at the top, catching bugs, lizards, snakes, and frogs, using chalk to draw a city on the sidewalk around the cul-de-sace and rollerskating my way through town, playing cupball in the street, using the large crack in the asphalt as a net to play tennis, riding my bike down to Stop and Go to get a drink. Come to think of it, my kids are more like me in this regard. I loved playing sports, pretty much any sport, but I favored softball, volleyball, and kickball. And I LOVED swimming. We would swim until our hair was green from the chlorine and our toes were rubbed raw from the pool plaster, and we didn't care. I still LOVE being outside and doing all of these things. I am definitely happiest when I am outside doing something....anything.


Only now, I get to do them with my kids.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post! Most of my memories of my childhood involve the outdoors. We too spent hours outside using our imaginations. I just wish my kids could roam free like I could. We would be gone for hours on end building forts in the forest, in the forest!

    ReplyDelete