Thursday, July 22, 2010

SUMMER AT THE CABIN

We rented a cabin up in Pinetop for the whole month of June. In retrospect, I'm wishing we would have rented it in July because it is H.O.T. Sticky, muggy, sweaty, cut-the-air-with-a-butter-knife H.O.T. I keep waiting for the usual news reports of flooding, trees knocked down, traffic lights out, but we got nothing.

We played and played, mostly outside, which we all loved. We went to the park, went on nature walks, visited Grandma and Papa LaDuke, and drove around Lakeside sight-seeing. (We spent our summers growing up there at my Grandma Schuck's cabin). We watched as the kids excitedly tried to catch blue jays, squirrels, and chipmunks. I swear that Gage thinks he is the animal whisperer. He is so into animals and bugs of all kinds. There were plenty of spiders to see inside the cabin - it's a good thing Grandma LaDuke didn't spend the night there!



Oh, how Paisley loves her Uncle Trevor. This girl does NOT fall asleep on just anyone.


We went to a petting zoo they had on the side of the road.


Gage REALLY wanted to take home this pot-belly pig. Thank goodness for zoning laws!!

Sometimes, Bella is more interested in being a princess or a ballerina!




The weather was perfect and there's just nothing like the smell of the pine trees. It's funny how certain smells can bring back memories in an instant, as if the scent had been etched in your brain alongside a video of a fond memory.

Some things I didn't have my camera for:

The kids put on a talent show for Grandma complete with singing and dancing.
Rob's search for the perfect gliders was finally fruitful and they played with those for a whole afternoon until it rained.
Some fierce games of horseshoes were played with egos and feelings still in tact. I must say that I got pretty decent at horseshoes and finally beat Rob after many intense, close games. I challenged my dad when they were there, but he wouldn't play. Must have been scared!! Tee Hee!!
Tons and tons of fishing and catching craw-dads at various lakes. We brought along a little tank to put the fish that we caught in. The kids would hold them and watch them swim around and then one-by-one put them back in the lake. Some of the craw-dads even made it back to the cabin, mysteriously.
I still can't believe I didn't have my camera for these things. Sometimes, though, when I have my camera, I miss out on fun because I'm focusing too much on capturing the moment.

The kids did get pretty homesick and I must admit I was craving the comforts of home too. But it was a month of what I hope to be lasting family memories.

2 comments:

  1. Is that what you call what Bella is doing on that pole? Being a Princess or Ballerina. Looks like she has her career lined up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure Uncle Trevor loves Paisley just as much as she loves him! He adores all of your kids and feels bad when he doesn't get to see them or play with them.

    ReplyDelete