Monday, January 5, 2009

HIGHLIGHTS


At the beginning of December, we went to Disneyland and had a ball. They really outdo themselves for Christmas there. A lot of people, I'm sure, think we're crazy for taking our three young children, but Rob and I LOVE Disneyland. It makes us feel like kids again, and I never went as a kid, so I see it with the same amazement and awe that the little ones do. The batteries died on our camera after the first night there, so this is the best we got. I know, lame. Karla, we needed you!




Soon after we got home, our ward had a Christmas party in the park right across the street. The kids got to ride ponies, Rob flipped burgers, and they had a live nativity at the end. Oh, and Santa came but Gage said it was a fake Santa because he wasn't wearing REAL boots and his beard looked funny. We told him he was one of Santa's helpers. (I thought Bro. Lunt did an outstanding job as Santa's helper.) Bella admired Santa from about a foot away. She was very cautiously curious.



Christmas was great. We had fun doing all our family traditions, making and delivering goodies, seeing all the beautiful lights, etc. And we went caroling with Alyssa and Trevor, and our friends, The Frosts and The Thibaudeaus. It was really fun to spread some Christmas cheer to our neighbors. We also enjoyed some much-needed rain during this time. (Your eyes don't deceive you - Gage is NOT wearing pants outside in the cold rain with no shoes. Please don't report me.)

We were so entertained at Gage's preschool party. They performed songs for the parents and they each found a different country (they learned about Christmas traditions around the world) on the map. Gage found Sweden (coincidence?) where a Lucia dresses in a white gown with a crown of candles and spreads good cheer.








We spent Christmas Eve day at Nathan and Mary Kay's house with some of my family. It wasn't the same without Mom and Dad, and we missed Aaron and his girls, Courtney, Jim, Billy and Alicia and fam. Mary Kay and Addie came up with some cute games and a craft for the kids, which they all enjoyed. Christmas Eve, we went to Mike and Lora's house for some fun company, good food, and LOTS and LOTS of presents for our kids. Christmas morning the kids were so excited to see what Santa brought and before we opened presents from under the tree, we called Mom and Dad to wish them Merry Christmas in India. Later in the day, all my family came over (this time Aaron and his girls too) and we played fun games and visited. It's so cool to see the cousins together. This year, it seems, the Christmas season went really fast....too fast. We sorely missed Mom and Dad and the absence of Rob's Mom was a big void. (About a week before Christmas, we watched a home video of Christmas Eve at our house last year with the Powers. We want the kids to know her and remember her. It was good to see her so happy and loving her family just 2 1/2 months before she passed.)

New Year's Eve was very quiet and nice. The girls went to bed early and Gage, Daddy and I enjoyed a nice fire out back, cooking s'mores. While watching all the hoopla on TV, we discovered there was a NO BURN that night. Oops!! Gage went to bed at 10pm, Rob followed at 10:45 and I made it until 12:01am.

We have lots of resolutions - personal, family, church, etc. So far, so good...as of today, January 5th.

Note: I am including this picture of Aaron's girls because he doesn't have a blog and SOMEONE has to brag about them. I'm happy to do so as their aunt and fan club member. I mean, are they beautiful, or what?


4 comments:

  1. We took the kids to disneyland 3 year ago for Disneyland and they loved it. Santa also brought it this year. My three younger ones don't remember going. Well maybe because hemi was still in the form of an egg and sperm that hadn't been united yet..... So, we are going in Februrary over Presidents day weekend bad mom I know pulling my kids out of school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are gorgeous girls. I love the picture of Batman. I think I would have liked your pre-school party A LOT more than Braden's. I was just thinking today how fun it was when we taught our little pre-school group. I guess I've had enough time to block out how much work it was. Ponies at your ward Christmas Party! That's some party. I'm trying not to get too homesick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Christmas pictures are so cute of the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any time you need me to photograph the fam, let me know! I'm lovin' my new camera. :)

    I'm glad Christmas was great - looks like Santa likes to spoil the Powers family. Santa gave Natalie the same kitchen he gave Bella (I guess I shouldn't assume it came from Santa). I hope Bella loves it as much as Natalie does. She can't stop talking about it!

    ReplyDelete