Tuesday, January 6, 2009

SACRIFICE

I just read a touching story written by a woman about her mother who sacrificed so much for her and her siblings. I thought of my own mother and now that I'm older and a mother myself, I am much more aware of how much she and my dad sacrificed for us. Growing up, my parents endured all kinds of financial struggles and oftentimes marveled at how they were able to make it. I'm not sure you would describe us as poor, but close to it. They never told us of their financial worries and our memories are that we never went without. There were clues though. Other kids wore Keds and had all the different colors - we wore the generic brand and had only one pair, to be replaced when our toes were poking through the fake canvas. We had an old (and I mean old) red Datsun truck that was so beat up and the hood had to be tied down with a rope that hung out for all to see. We also had a VW Bus that was orange and hilarious. Everyone always knew it was The LaDukes coming. Things would break around the house (A/C, heat, dishwasher, toilets, washing machine, dryer, etc.) and we rarely fixed them because of lack of money. To help save money, my mom sewed most of our clothes. We NEVER had brand name clothes, or even clothes with a label at all! We never went shopping for clothes, even for special dances and proms. I don't remember EVER going to the doctor, except for shots right before kindergarten (that memory is extremely vivid - don't know if it's because of the trauma of shots or having to be semi-nude in front of a stranger), but I don't remember being sick either. I can only remember one family vacation where we left in the middle of the night in our orange bus and drove to California. I remember playing on the beach in a red bathing suit. My mom went back to teaching high school and in all her free time she typed dictation for a lawyer in town. My dad woke up in the wee hours of morning to do his newspaper route. On some mornings he would come back home to get one of us to help him get it done in time, if the paper had more inserts or if it was raining, etc. I remember vividly on those mornings, hearing him come back through the door shortly after he left and thinking while I pretended to sleep, "Please don't pick me, Please don't pick me." Most of the time, he chose one of my brothers and I would smile as I drifted back to sleep. What a jerk I was about that.

But, we were happy. So happy. I NEVER felt deprived or jealous of others. I never felt pity for myself or for our family. It was completely normal to all of us. And I felt so lucky and proud to be part of our family. And this was because of my parents. They sacrificed their time, sleep, energy, wants, needs, and all for us. Somehow, Christmas was always so grand. For seven children, we each had what seemed like tons of presents and Santa was always very generous to all of us.

I was a freshman in high school and the "Fun in the Sun" dance was fast approaching. My friends and I couldn't wait. They all were going shopping for their new outfits. I knew we couldn't do that and was planning on wearing something old (or raiding my sister Courtney's closet). I started to get ready and my mom came into my room with a shopping bag and surprised me with an outfit for the dance. I couldn't believe it!! I was beyond thrilled. I now wonder...what sacrifices did she make to buy me that outfit? How thoughtful and generous and what a surprise!!

Thank you, thank you, Mom and Dad. Thank you for teaching us that happiness does not come from money or things. Thank you for teaching us to be confident and secure no matter our clothes, cars, or broken house. Thank you for teaching us to be happy for other people's success and to not feel jealous. Thank you for teaching us that we don't need to compete with others (unless, of course, in sports) about our achievements or possessions. Thank you for showing us that sacrifice and service are what bring real joy. Even now, as you serve in India, you continue to sacrifice for your children. I was proud to be a LaDuke then and even more proud now.

Note: The picture with me in the dark pink shorts and pink and white striped shirt is THE DANCE. These are my friends Mike Ashton (who tragically passed away about 3 years ago) and Kate Malay (now Nelson), my dear friend. I don't know why my other girlfriends weren't in the pic. The outfit doesn't look very flattering on me in this pic - I promise I was thin then (not now, but then, for sure). Ok, how vain is that? So much for confidence and security!! :)

The formal picture is my senior prom and my mom made me this gorgeous dress. I LOVED it and I still have it in my closet. I went with Jerry Hahn who was in our ward.




7 comments:

  1. Great entry, very thoughtful and profound. It seems you have a bit of your mother and grandmother's talent for writing. My dad always says, "Blessed is nothing." I'm starting to understand that and long for simpler days. I hope we can teach our kids the same principles. I loved the photos, I can't believe your mom made that dress, wow. Now if you could just add some photos of the cars for effect:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a post I need to read often. I always knew you were a great person and this post definitely confirms thoughts about you. I look up to you, Betina. Thanks for always posting such uplifting life stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betina, well put you brought up a lot of memeories and I to can see myself in similiar situations and I truly never felt I went without. Yea we had no A/C in the summer but I turly appreciate the smaller things now. Thanks for you post it puts things into perspective. And before you complain about the shoes you wear, one should first talk to the man without feet. Thanks for you post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a side note, I like the church standard shorts. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you were something great from the first moment I met you, and now I know I was right! It's an amazing experience when we realize all that our parents have done for us. I hope our own children will realize the same - and that hopefully I will have been that kind of parent! You are awesome. And I love the Flojos. Those were an item to be had - and you had them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betina, you made me cry! You have some amazing parents! One thing I love most about you is your beautiful smile and happiness that you emanate. You always find laughter in any situation, and I can see that you have learned where real happiness and joy come from- the gospel and sacrificing for what matters most. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't been able to open anything up lately and was so surprised to read this beautiful expression of love which made us cry. Thanks, Betina, for being such a wonderful daughter of whom we are so proud (righteously, of course). You are a good mother who will always do the right thing or as close as possible to it for your own children. Do you remember one of our years when the real Santas came and did so much? You were about 11 and said, "Why would anyone do this for us when there are so many people who need it much more than we do." That says so much about the kind of person that you are. You came good! We love you and your family.

    ReplyDelete