Wednesday, March 18, 2009

BABY COWS

Near our house there is a neighborhood of farms and often I will take the kids through there to see all the animals: cows, horses, chickens, roosters, goats, sheep, ostriches, donkeys, etc. They absolutely love it and never want to leave. Today at our favorite spot, there was a whole group of cows with three new babies that were soooo cute (if you can call a cow cute). I pointed to it and excitedly told the kids, "Look at that baby cow!!" And Gage said, "Mama, you don't have to say baby cow, you can say calf!" Pardon me.

On that same outing I had the radio on (I am addicted to talk radio right now, although I don't know why because it just stresses me out). Anyway, there was a commercial for some kind of parenting manual and it mentioned that it could solve all your problems with backtalking, disrespect, whining, etc. I didn't pay much attention to it because I was looking at the CALF, but Gage said, "Mama, you should get that! You should get that book they were talking about on the radio to teach us to be good!" Funny that the one I'm trying to teach the most right now is the one who wants to be taught to be good. Why can't he just be that sweet and good ALL THE TIME?? But then, I guess, who is?

We had Gage's friends, Reese and Wade, over this morning and we all went with Karla and Natalie and Karla's two nephews to the library for storytime. Before entering the library, Karla and I were going over proper library etiquette. That's a laugh! Two seconds after walking through the doors, those boys took off running. We had a total of 5 boys and 3 girls between us. The girls were sweet. The boys were boys. Storytime was on break because of Spring Break so we walked over to the Riparian to see the turtles and ducks and let the kids play. The boys spotted some ducklings that were still yellow and precious. It was already way too hot for me and my kids (that's one thing they inherited from me - sweating. Poor things.) Bella wanted nothing to do with me and cried everytime I tried to pick her up to show her something. She wanted only Karla and Natalie. That's how she was at the zoo the other day with Mary Kay and her kids. Why is that, I wonder? Oh, well. We left and got all the kids ice cream cones from McD's which hit the spot. Wonder Woman Karla now has all the kids, minus Paisley, Reese, and Wade over at her house from some swimming. So while I sit in a cool house reflecting on the day thus far and about to start reading a parenting book that will teach my children to be good, Paisley sleeping soundly in the next room, Karla is managing five kiddos out in the heat alone. Sorry, Karla and thank you. You rock.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so glad you had a chance to relax AND blog! :) What a busy day for you! Was it today that you went to the farm, or did I read that wrong. If so, you're the wonder woman! Hopefully dragging you to the library was even fun. And for having all the kids over, it was a blast - even if it ended up in a spotshot party. Hehe! Gage is a doll. Just a phase, I'm sure. I'm glad he likes it over here. Hopefully our little talk will stick. I do think that having a little girls playdate would be fun, too. Give Gage to my sister. Let the boys tromp around her house while we have tea and cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. You are an amazing mom! Really. I'm constantly amazed at the talent and patience you have with THREE kids! I'm only responsible for one, which is two-thirds less work than you have. Maybe I'll start reading my Love & Logic book again and we can have our own little book club meetings and share ideas. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun posts! Gage is unbelievable and Bella's "I spy" game is so cute. Glad you could see Disneyland again with Aaron and his girls. Sure you all had lots of fun together. Nice you could go to the zoo with Mary Kay and kids also. Keep it up. Happy you are getting these things recorded--much better than I am right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bella's I spy reminds me of the movie Brother Bear. HAve you seen it. If not check out the Moose's Ispy game.

    You are truly amazing. Your kids are so lucky to have you for their mother. I am so impressed and inspired by you to do better.

    How cool you got to go to Disneyland Twice. That is one thing I wish I had for my kids is cousins. (Well ones we are close to....)

    Keep up the good work. The world needs more parents like you and Rob. Your reward will be great in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love listening to Gage's comments! He is so smart and funny. He is a mini Rob. That is so funny about listening to talk radio because the other day when I was listening, Golden got all bent out of shape because someone said the S-word (Stupid). When I think Golden and Blaze are in their own little world, they might actually be listening.

    ReplyDelete