Thursday, March 5, 2009

LOTS TO CATCH UP ON

We have been so busy these last couple of months, as is everyone, but I want to be sure to document some of the events.





We had a vist from Billy, Alicia and family in early February. They made a short stop here and then up to Snowflake for a week and then back down here. The kids played out back pretty much non-stop, which was great. The weather couldn't have been nicer. Most of the LaDukes got together for a fishing outing, which pleased Rob. Actually, we took two or three fishing outings while they were here. Rob is so into fishing right now. I suppose I understand the desire for peace, quiet, and relaxation. (Or as Gage would say, "a piece of quiet"). All the little cousins had a blast playing, fishing, running around, and mostly playing with the worms. Alicia, aka Martha Stewart, also helped me to break in my manual wheat grinder, after which I decided to retire it and save for an electric wheat grinder. We made some delicious bread, cinnamon biscuits and fry bread. My first venture into this kind of thing, I'm embarrassed to admit at the age of 34. Delicious!!!











We have had lots of fun days at the park. We are so lucky to live here in this beautiful weather and I love to take full advantage of it before it gets so HOT!! Gage has really taken to his bike (FINALLY!!) and loves to go on rides with me. Sometimes I'll take the girls in the bike trailer too. Gage and Bella are having more and more fun together. I can't wait to see Paisley get to join in someday. Bella ADORES her big brother and wants to be just like him. She copies everything he does and says. Gage loves to dress up in his Batman costume and not to be outdone, Bella dresses up in his Power Ranger costume and they battle it out, despite my insistence that they are both GOOD superheroes. Oh, well.






We have been really struggling with Gage and his overall attitude. He is such a good boy, but has a temper and a knack for mimicking his dad. I think I've said before, it is really funny when Rob does it, but NOT so funny from a 4-year-old. I cringe to even imagine what other people must think of some of the things Gage says and does, not knowing Rob. Rob was such a little ham growing up and his mom used to tell me how alike their personalities are. Rob got into all kinds of trouble as a child, adolescent, and teenager. Interesting how all of these stories are so funny to all of us now. One particularly sassy, smart-alec-y day, I asked Gage how he thought he could do better and he thought he should pray to ask for help in being more respectful and obedient. When he finished, he asked how he knew if his prayer was heard and answered. I told him he would get a nice, warm feeling. But then he wanted to know why Heavenly Father and Jesus didn't come to see him with a bright light. He said, "When Joseph Smith was praying for help about the true church, they came to see him with a big bright light!! How come they don't come to see me???" At the end of it all, he said he felt like his prayer was going to work. My prayer is: Please, can my 4-year-old just be a 4-year-old???



We had another nice visit with Papa Powers. It has been a year since Rob's mom passed away. It has gone by so quickly in some ways, and so slowly in others. Papa Powers said it has been a rough year, but he's glad to be around to see his grandchildren. He sure gets a kick out of them, even though he can't remember Paisley's name most of the time. But I don't mind. He just calls her "my beautiful girl". She sure is. Gage keeps him on his toes and Bella just loves on him the whole time. Well, when she's not rummaging through the goody cabinets. He loves to hold Paisley, but can only do so in small doses as her gi-normous body is too much for his back to handle. They are so lucky to have this time with him, time we all cherish.

2 comments:

  1. Your babies are so beautiful! And funny thing, the other day when Bella and Gage were over (after you went home), Gage was goofing off and I think everything he did I could see Rob doing. It was as if Rob himself was in my back yard playing with a turkey baster in the kiddie pool with my gym shorts cinched up around his waist. Wow. I think you can tell Rob that nothing he does is secret anymore - I know ALL his moves! :) (Does that make you worried? Haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky to have so much family around for your little ones to play with. We are lucky to have great weather. Let me know if you find an electric wheat grinder. We are looking into one with our tax refund and I too need to learn more molly mormon homemaking skills. I am totally lacking. I can tell you where kids eat free on which night but I have lots of wheat I need to learn how to start using.

    Your kids are SO cute. Maybe we can get them together sometime and play. You amaze me in all that you are able to do. I strive to be only as half as good as you.

    ReplyDelete